Toxic foods in ours pets – Chocolate and coffee

coffeandcake

Toxic foods in ours pets – Chocolate and coffee

Who doesn’t love chocolate? Or a good cup of coffee in the morning? Despite being delicious to us coffee and chocolate contain methylxanthines (caffeine and theobromine) which are toxic for our pets. 

Most poisoning cases from methylxanthines occur as a result of chocolate ingestion, and due to their indiscriminate eating habits, dogs make up the majority of cases of chocolate poisoning. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is.

Common signs of poisoning to watch for include hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting and diarrhoea. As intoxication progresses, seizures and coma may be observed. 

If you see your pet eating dark chocolate, drinking coffee or if you notice any of these signs do not hesitate and bring him or her to the vet!