Paracetamol intoxication in cats

ginger-cat

Paracetamol intoxication in cats

Paracetamol, also known as acetaminophen, is a common over the counter drug in human medicine used to relieve mild pain and reduce fever.

As such, it’s something tremendously easy to find around the house and that some owners might be tempted to use on their pets for the same reason we use it on ourselves.

We urge you that you do not give your cat any paracetamol and never, ever let them play with or chew on anything that could contain paracetamol. Cats have a very limited capacity to adequately metabolise paracetamol and doses as low as 10 to 40mg per kg of bodyweight might have dire effects. This means that, for instance, a large 5 kg cat would experience toxicity with a dose of 50 to 200 mg ingested. Tablets usually have 500 mg of paracetamol in them so we can’t stress enough that even half of a tablet could harm your cat.

If your cat exhibits depression, rapid breathing, vomiting, salivation, abdominal pain and oedema and you suspect there is any chance they could have come in contact with paracetamol, bring them in immediately!

The onset of signs is a couple of hours after ingestion and death may happen due to liver failure in under two days so the sooner treatment starts, the better their chances are.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01625 585500.